Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Oh Fanny!!!

I'm watching Oprah, I feel it's necessary right here and now to state that I'm not a fan of the show. It's boring and stupid and boring most importantly. It's basically Oprah talking to middle aged housewives who hang on her every word, thus spending the duration of the show oohing and ahhing and clapping like puppets. It's gross, repetitive and monotonous. Unfortunately I don't have control of the remote. She's interviewing Martha Stewart pre prison sentence (we get lots of re-runs) and that got me thinking about the home cook goddesses we have in England: Nigella Lawson; who oozes sex, Delia Smith Queen of Patronisation; she actually did a show about how to boil an egg and the original Fanny Cradock. Now she was something.

We get to watch her shows around the Christmas holiday because of  the nostalgia, the first of her kind. She had those old school eyebrows drawn in after shaving her original ones off, giving them a manufactured hooked shape. And then there was her roller set overnight pale blonde (sometimes reddish brown) hair framing her powder pale face. She spoke the Queen's English. She was definitely a lady of her time. She was no nonsense. She was spectacular but I wouldn't recreate any of her recipes.

The first time I watched her show I was taken aback, she did this segment because apparently no one in England during the 1970's could carve their chicken properly at Christmas and she was on a mission to fix that. It scared the shit out of me, not enough to make me hate chicken (nothing could do that) but... maybe I was more grossed out than scared. Watching it again I think my reaction was due to the insipid, anaemic appearance of the chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment