Thursday, December 24, 2009

This Christmas: Day

Trading Places circa 1983, to the left Louis Winthorpe III. Masterfully played by Dan Aykroyd, the ultimate privileged, yuppie idiot who gets turned on by his "own kind".

The film doesn't have that much to do with this post, I just think it's a classic. I'm always filled with disgust and the wonder and then disgust again when I watch this scene. Wonder because I'm surprised that anyone would wear such a filthy Santa suit. Disgust because that's salmon that he's eating, eww. Personally, I'm not that into Christmas. I think it's kinda boring.

We don't behave any differently than we would any other time of year, no, that's wrong; my family irritate me more than they would any other time of the year, lol. The day's schedule is as follows: wake up (at some point), dress up (most of them don't want to), drink some cocktails, eat some Walker's Sensations and eventually have the Christmas meal including the dessert. I could do that any other day of the year with less fuss and get a nap in between.

The most annoying thing about Christmas for me is the insistence that I wait till Christmas Day to open my present. I'm 2 months shy of my 21st B-day, do I really have to wait to open my presents, apparently yes. Why? I suspect my family gets some sort of sadistic joy from making me wait.

The Christmas tree's a whole other kettle of fish. Every year I have to get it out, I have to decorate it and I have to pack it back up around New Year. It's even more irritating because I'm not the one who insists on putting it up. It's definitely not for the children's benefit because I'm the youngest in the house and I outgrew Christmas like 10 years ago. Bah Humbug. The icing on the cake is that this year my mother had to buy a new one because the black whole known as her bedroom swallowed up our beloved 15 year old Christmas tree. We've searched high and low but it's nowhere to be found. Can you believe it a whole Christmas tree has disappeared from my small English terraced house.

For those who love it, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year xXx ^_^ and if you haven't watched Trading Places you should. It's a great film.



No comments:

Post a Comment